Amazing scenery
As opposed to what you may be led to believe from my previous postings, I do not spend 24/7 doing medical stuff. There have been many opportunities to enjoy the beauty of this country. Since Lubango (elevation 4000 feet) is located in a valley surrounded by 1000-foot cliffs, my morning runs up the hills have provided amazing views to start my days (plus some altitude training in the process). This past weekend, I was able to travel to the coast city of Namibe, where there are amazing beaches, albeit with rather chilly water currents (which originate from Antarctica). Unfortunately, the waves break too close to the shore to get much good surfing in, but I was stoked to at least be able to swim without fear of schistosomiasis. The 4000 foot descent to the coast offered awesome views, and in a matter of minutes we went from chilly mountains to humid and hot plains to a very dry desert. I had a very enjoyable and refreshing time.
Unfortunately, our house has been without phone service for the past week, and thus I have been slow on my blogging.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home